It Could Be You ~ What Domestic Violence Actually Looks Like

Image
It has been some time since I posted here. I only post when I feel I need or want to. The subject must be important to me in order to want to share my thoughts with the few of you who may read this.   I am pretty sure that none of you know what exactly I do for work. Well, one small part of my job is redacting audio and video for the Police Department. Now that we have body cameras and a new recording system that small part of my job has increased. With that I now see and hear more than I ever did before. This week as I was redacting a case my gut hurt and I felt sick. I was listening to a woman tell officers all the reasons why her former partner would never follow through on threats to her life. All I could think about was Mary. All I could think about was all these excuses mean nothing when one event can end your life. One event that will forever change your friends and family’s life. One event that you never thought would really happen will destroy you and your loved one’s fore

Relentless Forward Progress

I promised myself a year ago that if I ever felt well enough again to race and train I would never squander an opportunity to do so.  Fast forward 1 year and 1 amazing opportunity later and here I am. I am finally about to race again. And like I promised myself… I am taking full advantage of all that I have been given. The last year has given me my health back, a new and HUGE chance to be coached by someone who gets me and a new bike of my dreams. I cannot waste this time. 3 years have already been lost so to speak.



I used to get asked a lot what makes me want to push through and Ironman or big training days.  It started as an escape. A way to do what my mother always said I could never do. Be someone. Do something amazing. Succeed. To grow up the way I did makes it easy to push through pain and see things to the end. I can’t give up because I had to fight the 1st 17 years of my life or I would not have survived. Everyday was a day closer to leaving. In racing every stroke, pedal and step is a moment closer to the finish. The pain doesn’t bother me. It’s just a feeling that will go away. Not succeeding would kill me. Then she wins.



Now I have a new reason to push through. I am doing it for myself and my husband who has never, ever even once given up on me or my dreams. I am no longer running from my childhood. I am no longer trying to escape life’s BS. I am happy and in the best spot of my life. EVER. I am fully aware of how blessed I am and I want to succeed now for us. I have a renewed interest in Smashing the shit out of goals I set for myself 10 years ago but was unable to because my body didn’t want to cooperate.


Mary sent a link to a video with Hillary Biscay talking about not giving up and believing in yourself.

“The person who works hardest does win in the end IF IF IF IF you are willing to keep showing up longer and again and again and again after everyone else has given up. May take twice as long but you can’t stop relentless forward progress.”

RELENTLESS FORWARD PROGRESS~ I love it!!



Who knew that all those childhood years of pushing through and all those years of racing and training while sick would be such an asset now 

I used to be ok with missing a workout here and there. What’s 1 short run missed going to change? I will just run and bike harder on my day off when I feel better. I still did my training and lots of it. I have had many coaches. Some good, some bad. At the end of the day a coach can’t make you do your training. YOU have to do your training and YOU have to want to do your training. YOU have to want your goal more than anything. YOU have to want it so badly that you eat sleep and breath it. My goal may seem like not a big deal to some people. My fast friends who Kona Qualify would consider a 12:59:59 a disappointment. I will consider it my Ironman life’s greatest achievement. I almost got there at IMLP 2011. The last race I did before my body started crashing down around me.

Having a coach that you respect SO MUCH and don’t want to ever ever disappoint on a coaching level and a #bff level makes this so much easier. Having one that pushes you and wants you to meet your goals just as badly is unbelievable. I am WAY outside my comfort zone and I love it!! Relentless Forward Progress. That is my goal from this day forward. I am already looking at the 2018 season and beyond. So many more goals to move towards. So much forward progress.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Could Be You ~ What Domestic Violence Actually Looks Like

GAPS Diet Week 1- #allthesalt

The F Word