It Could Be You ~ What Domestic Violence Actually Looks Like

Image
It has been some time since I posted here. I only post when I feel I need or want to. The subject must be important to me in order to want to share my thoughts with the few of you who may read this.   I am pretty sure that none of you know what exactly I do for work. Well, one small part of my job is redacting audio and video for the Police Department. Now that we have body cameras and a new recording system that small part of my job has increased. With that I now see and hear more than I ever did before. This week as I was redacting a case my gut hurt and I felt sick. I was listening to a woman tell officers all the reasons why her former partner would never follow through on threats to her life. All I could think about was Mary. All I could think about was all these excuses mean nothing when one event can end your life. One event that will forever change your friends and family’s life. One event that you never thought would really happen will destroy you and your loved one’s fore

Onward

It has been some time since I posted. I have been torn on what to share for fear of not coming across clear and possibly miss stating the issues. But here goes. So… Since getting the diagnosis of MTHFR….

There are several other genetic defects that my WoNdErFuL NP and I are working on. Each time something starts to slip health wise I go back and we move forward with the next process.

Some facts/new info~

1.      My body does not release toxins- Had all my amalgam fillings removed 2 weeks ago. All 11!!!! Have no idea if it will help but my brain does seem a bit clearer. Could be some other factors though. 

2.      I can’t detoxify estrogen. Yeah,… great for the girl who has been on birth control ( estrogen) for the last 25 years. So that was immediately changed

3.       Compromised anti-oxidant defense    
   
4.       Sub optimal vitamin D status

5.       There is a substantial overlap between high folate foods and high Sulphur foods. Since the MTHFR means I can not process folate I removed the foods that have them ( limiting my foods even more)

6.       Histamine intolerance means limiting foods that release or allow the release of histamine in the body ( insert eye roll- more foods I can/should not eat)

7.       Changing the above = not 1 migraine in 4 months. 4 MONTHS!!!!  I sleep through the night. Real sleep. Good sleep. I wake up to an alarm for the first time in my life. Off anti-depressants. I never needed them. My issues were from the inability to methylate B12. I am recovering from workouts like a normal person. Yes, yes I am not training like I used to but I am lifting a lot and only having the usual amount of muscle soreness after. I DNFed at my 1st mt bike race BUT I didn't fall asleep for days afterwards. This is actually REALLY big news!!


Crazy. Absolutely fucking crazy.

 I had been feeling great for 2 straight weeks. Was finally getting a 1-2 hour workout in 6X a week and decided to celebrate with a GF pizza from my favorite place. That was Friday night. I slept for 30 hours after that. I could not move. Verdict- GF Pizza dough was enriched with folic acid and B12 like many grain/carb type foods (even GF) are. No more pizza unless I make my own dough.  

The good thing though was after the 30 hours I was back to normal. Just a month ago this kind of episode could last for days.

Workouts are coming along. Running 3-4 times a week. Mt biking 3-4 times a week. Lifting 3 times a week and spin class 2 X a week. Fingers crossed this crazy new way of eating and  incredible amount of vitamins ( methylated B12, Methylfolte, Multi Vitamins that support the last 2, Thytropin PMG, Thyroid medication and Pregnenolone, Methylcobalamin liquid shots ) continue to move things in the right direction. Hopefully that right direction also includes weight loss. I have not been able to budge even 1 pound since March. The good news is the weight gain seems to have subsided but still.... It is SO frustrating to be this size and KNOW that I am actually doing everything I can. Trying to let that go has proven to be the MOST difficult part of this whole journey. Especially as a triathlete. Just before this all happened i was at the lowest weight I had been in my life and it was hard as hell. Every ounce lost was a huge battle. It always has been. Unfortunately all these genetic/health issues in combination with hypo-hypothyroidism means I may need to find  a way to be OK with it. There is a VERY high chance that my weight will never go down again. That means if there is an Ironman in my future again... it is going to be one hell of a fight. Heavy=slower. And I already wasn't the fastest.

I was scared to death to think that I may never be able to do another Ironman but I  am super hopeful that possibly with the help of a coach that understands all this, that will happen again. Next year J Fingers and Toes crossed!!! It has been a long 2+ years of dealing with this downward spiral since Ironman Texas when I was free basing B12 shots because I was so exhausted all the time. Crazy to think that someone who eats healthy, doesn’t drink or smoke and works out all the time can have all this going on. The “good for you” foods and vitamins I had  been eating thinking that they can only help were actually super harmful. Removing foods like kale, spinach, eggs, asparagus, legumes, broccoli, garlic, onions, arugula have definitely  helped me feel better. I AM NOT SAYING that everyone should do this.  Talk to a Dr. Have the tests run, Have a genetic test done. Be your own advocate for the health care answers you deserve. It is hard as hell and very very upsetting because you will meet 100 people/Dr’s who say nothing is wrong before you will find the 1 who listens and agrees….something Just.Isn’t.RIGHT!!

This isn’t a “please praise me or pity me” post. This is solely to get the message out to others ( especially women) who feel like crap all the time and don’t know why. I really want others who feel like I used to to feel better. I can’t say it enough. Get a genetic test done and go to a Dr ( or NP- I will never go to another Dr again)


 Who wants to help not just medicate or mask the symptoms.


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing Heidi - you are an incredibly strong chick!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Could Be You ~ What Domestic Violence Actually Looks Like

GAPS Diet Week 1- #allthesalt

The F Word